Skip to main content

Home Made Hair Gel - amazingly simple and effective

I had run out of hair gel and couldn't find any in the local store that would be OK and I didn't like the hefty price.  What to do without wasting a whole day driving up to the nearest shopping center with a decent selection.  After trawling the net in search of something I could use that I had in the cupboard I came across quite a few ideas - some of them complicated and some using obscure things that I didn't have to hand when I spotted this simple and easy to do hair gel that was fast to do and came out great.
all you need is agar agar ( a sea vegetable, available at Asian stores, ethnic stores,  or buy online - you can get powder or flakes or strips and they all work well - add water and  yep, that's it !  I added some rose geranium essential oil then a few drops of orange blossom so I would impress the chickens as well and today I have a really cool hairdo with lots of body, all for the cost of about two minutes effort and an impatient wait for it to cool .   truly, it was too simple for words and now I have a hair gel I can make anytime and for practically nothing, no preservatives, no bad chemicals, and it can be custom made to your own preferences.

I found the idea on Bonzai Aphrodite's site but I adapted this to my own even simpler version as I had no Aloe Vera gel on hand.  My sister asked for my recipe and I had to admit I had just flung some water into a pot, tossed in about 2 inches of agar agar in strip form, thought it may not set so put in another inch and it set solid !  I had to remelt it and add another full cup of water so it made a lot !  I set a small pot in a cute looking pottle and then had a lot left so put it in an unexciting large tub and just scooped out a few dollops to use.  It came out much better than I had imagined it would and I will be using this all the time now.  
Try it - you'll be impressed.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Decadent cinnamon Porridge DIY touch of luxury on a cold morning

Saute banana slices in butter and cinnamon  Make porridge/oats as normal adding some more ground cinnamon and raisins  Top oats with sauteed bananas and top with cream and enjoy 

Rag Weaving on a Rigid Heddle - where has his night shirt gone ?

Living miles away from fabric shops and not wanting to spend dollars to make fabric then recycling is a neat way to make your own.   do it yourself fabric is unique and a cool way to recycle a favourite item.  Believe it or not this weaving is done with torn strips of hubby's night shirt, frayed and ready to toss out when inspiration hit - guess he's still searching for it  ...  looks mighty like denim and gave a very strong and interesting texture fabric for a bag. 

Yeasty Potato Bread

Found this excellent potato bread recipe on the internet and made my version and this is the result - clearly was great as half has been demolished - its super easy and very yummy.  Recipe here